Friday, October 7, 2011

Portland, Oregon Part III - Enjoying the Journey


Spending limited time with family and friends during the past 6 months, has made me realize that being present in the moment is essential. Often times it's hard to put down the to-do list and forget about "the destination" (whatever that is) and really take in the surroundings.  Our nomadic lifestyle makes it hard to really connect with people.  Enjoying moments of camaraderie and friendship has been great for my spiritual wellness.  At times I've felt overwhelmed with family and friend's generosity in hosting us for meals and having us stay at their house.  Not to mention the fact that Holly has let us use her car while she is away.  I can only hope that I will pay-it-forward as we continue our travels south.

Juliet and then Geri hosted us for some great vegetarian fare.  I've done a horrible job at capturing all the delicious meals people have served us.  These two pictures are from almost a month ago when the weather was nice and warm.  Lovely memories.

I don't claim to be new on the live-in-the-moment subject.  Other people have said it much better than I ever could:
Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it. 
The road of life twists and turns and no two directions are ever the same. Yet our lessons come from the journey, not the destination.  
Too often we are so preoccupied with the destination, we forget the journey.
We stayed at Nooby's house (pictured 1st), then we moved to Holly's condo, before we moved into Andrea's house (pictured 2nd).  All the while, we've been able to use Holly's car.  Like I said, I am overwhelmed with the generosity.

Andrea cooking us eggs for breakfast -- DELICIOUS.  Bruce bought us pizza and we enjoyed hours of fantastic conversation.

No comments: