Saturday, August 17, 2013

Costa Rica and Panama Cuteness - Lots of Pictures

What does a juvenile sloth and a spider monkey have in common?  Irresistible cuteness.

We had the great fortune, to happen upon a young sloth while poking around the beaches and coves near Quepos, Costa Rica. A local was feeding it small leaves from the almond tree, so we followed along. If it hadn't been for his unusually slow movements, those little pokey hooks on his feet would've been a little intimidating.  He didn't have any teeth, so he just gnawed at the leaves until they were pulverized enough to swallow. His hook nails work great for hanging from trees, but didn't work so well for grabbing the leaves from our hands. After we stopped feeding him, he curled up in a ball, and went to sleep on a branch. Can you just hear us saying, "awwwwwww"?







Soon after leaving this area of Costa Rica, we headed across the border to Panama, and made a beeline to the mountain town of Boquete.  The cooler air was refreshing.  It's about 70 +/- 5 degrees all the time (day or night). We set up camp at a place called La Jungla de Panama, an animal rescue and rehab place. While Scott worked on the never-ending list of truck and bike projects, I volunteered every morning with the animals. The star of the show was, without a doubt, Daisy, the spider monkey. She was abused in the past, and has subsequently been known to break into dangerous fits, so no one is allowed in her cage. It's sad because she is so sweet. She also thinks I'm sweet. Without fail, she hugs and grabs me when I walk up to her cage. With other people, it's hit or miss - even with Scott. Muchas fotos follow:









2 comments:

DeAnna said...

Hi! My husband and I are planning a short drive (about three months) through Mexico this winter. I'm on a Facebook community called VanDwellers, and someone there recommended I check out your blog. Thanks for sharing your stories!! I was starting to get cold feet about our adventure, but after reading the Mexico part of your blog I'm totally re-inspired.

We'll be traveling in a smaller van (it's a Toyota Van, closely related to the HiAce you used to have), and we'll have a dog with us, but otherwise we hope to be doing something very similar to what y'all are doing. This will be our first longer-term trip, but we hope to eventually transition to living on the road long-long term. We aren't yet fully retired (though I'm a web developer, and Preston is a mechanical engineer!) but our work is totally telecommutable. Part of the adventure this winter will be to see how much work I can realistically do on the road.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your stories. I'm inspired!

DeAnna said...

p.s. I forgot to say that I'm super interested in travel-geek info, like what sort of electronics you have, and interior layout/function of your travel space, etc.