Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Nursing Registration (non progress)

I really don't have much to report in the way of the progress on my nursing registration. The short story on what has happened so far is that I graduated on March 18th, 2008 with a full head of steam, excited and ready to work as a nurse in Sydney. After passing the NCLEX (National Council Licensure Examination) for RNs and moving to Sydney, I gathered the piles of paperwork together to send to the New South Wales nurses board. I received a letter in the mail the following week, recognizing my application and letting me know that "foreign educated" applicants may have to wait up to 6 months for their registration application to be reviewed. I did not expect the process to be fast nor efficient but I never thought it would take 6 months. There is no guarantee that they will accept my application because the education requirements for U.S. nurses are not the same. If I wait 6 months to get word that my application for registration was denied I will certainly be more than unhappy (depressed?). Needless to say, I've got a lot of decisions to make in the next few months about my "working" future in Sydney. Sell my soul again and go back to software? Get a job in health care doing something? Volunteer a lot until I get word from the nurses board? Learn Spanish? Get my masters in nursing? Make money doing something creative and non-soul-sucking? I've been applying for different jobs in software and health care and have a new appreciation for what it's like to be looking for a job. I would consider myself highly qualified in certain areas and it just isn't as easy as I thought to get a job. Maybe that's part of my problem -- I think I'm qualified but I'm really not?

No comments: